RESOURCES

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Coyote Love




OK - so most of you won't have a clue about Coyote Love. This was a song by Joe Walsh (of the Eagles and one of the geekiest rock stars - he's even scientifically literate - he's a HAM operator - WB6ACU). Anyway, this is about my friend the coyote. A couple of days ago Amber, my golden retriever mix (pictured with Melvin, our old, overweight tabby) began barking strangely. Actually she doesn't bark that often and when she does there is something to bark at. It was dusk and I went to the window to see what was the matter (OK - Santa wasn't there). There, only a few feet from the window, was a coyote looking toward the house to see who was barking. I had plenty of time to get the camera, focus as best I could through the screen, and hold it as still as possible during the long exposure time (thus the blurry nature of the photo). I thought seriously about throwing out the bones from the left over barbecue ribs I had eaten that night but realized that could create serious problems especially if the coyote began to see Amber as a competitor for it's food. I remember seeing what, I thought at the time was a very large fox, leading my large lab (since passed on) in a slow trot. They were obviously familiar with each other and even friends. I now realize it was a small coyote, perhaps the same one. I hope it finds Amber to be just another friend, not a competitor. Last night I saw fresh prints in the snow where the coyote had been the previous night. Amber was "babysitting" our daughter's dog so wasn't home - I know my friend was back.

No comments: