RESOURCES

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Seriously Big Bugs


Just some catching up. When I was in St. Louis for the National Science Teachers Association, I had the opportunity to handle some seriously big bugs. Both of them are types of walking sticks. These are well-camouflaged insect-eating insects. I am not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if these wouldn't eat a small lizard or other animal. The hands in the picture are not mine although I did get to hold them. I couldn't hold and take a picture at the same time. One of the pictures appeared below as well but I wanted to speak of them again. We talk a lot about how there were huge insects in older times. Well, some of the insects today aren't all that small. There are also very large spiders (tarantulas) and huge centipedes (I once saw one about 13 inches long, about 3/4 inch wide black centipede with orange legs while at girls camp in southern Oklahoma). Goliath beetles can be 4 1/2 inches long, about as long as these bugs, but much heavier thanks to their heavy bodies. There are the Io moths and some butterflies that can have wingspans of almost a foot. So, while most "bugs" are little, some are really pretty big. By the way, there is a such thing as a true bug. A true bug is an insect with a sucking mouth part and wings that make an X on their backs. Stink bugs and weevils are true bugs. And, yes, stink bugs really do stink.

No comments: